Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Multigrain Ricotta Waffles


I really like using ricotta cheese in my breakfast foods because it makes them creamy and fluffy, adds some healthy protein and it fills you up for longer. This is a recipe out of my new William Sonoma cookbook. I changed it just a little to make it healthier.

Multigrain Ricotta Waffles

1 C all-purpose flour (I used wheat here)
1/2 C whole-wheat flour (I used white here)
1/2 C stone-ground cornmeal (I just used regular cornmeal)
1 T sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 C milk (I used buttermilk)
1/2 C part-skim ricotta cheese
2 eggs
3 T canola oil (I used applesauce)

In a large bowl, stir together the all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, whisk together the milk, ricotta, eggs and oil. Stir the milk mixture into the flour mixture just until smooth.

Coat a waffle maker lightly with oil, wiping off any excess with a paper towel. Preheat to medium according to the manufacturer’s instructions.

Spoon about 1/2 cup batter onto the hot waffle maker, spreading it out to the edges. Close the lid and cook until the waffle is golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Repeat with the remaining batter.

Serve with fresh strawberries and plain yogurt for a healthy option. I made a strawberry sauce and used whipped cream for a less-healthy-but-super-yummy option. Or, you know, just syrup or whatever.

No comments: