Sunday, July 12, 2009

Hawaiian Haystacks

I think most people already have some renditition of this recipe. I think we used gravy when I was growing up. But we've been enjoying this recently. The best part is it is really kid friendly. Dylan, who just turned one, LOVES it and eats all of it. I love that I can make one meal now instead of three. (Most of the time, at least)
Hawaiian Haystacks

2 cans cream of chicken soup

1 C chicken broth

2 C chicken, cooked and diced

Rice, cooked (we usually make 2 cups raw, which makes 4 cups, I think)

Any or all of the following:

Grated cheddar cheese

Chinese rice noodles (La Choy brand)

Bell peppers (any color, raw or cooked if you like)

Tomatoes

Peas (cooked)

Slivered almonds (toasted)

Chopped pineapple

Mix the soup, broth and chicken together in saucepan and simmer a few minutes. Cook rice and any toppings that need to be cooked. Serve chicken mixture over rice and top with toppings. It's great as leftovers as well.

No comments: