Sunday, December 4, 2011

Healthy Homemade Muffins


I adapted this healthy muffin recipe from the original "Mormon Muffins" recipe I got many years ago from a friend. These muffins are served at the Greenery Restaurant in Ogden at the mouth of Ogden canyon.  They are so delicious but I decided to adapt the recipe to be a little healthier since I never use shortening in anything I cook.  Shortening can only melt at a temperature that is higher than what our bodies ever reach and therefore is not able to be assimilated by our bodies so it's not a smart choice in any of your cooking.

I didn't remember to get my camera out until I was on day 2 of these muffins (since you have to let the batter sit overnight) so here is what you do on day 2 (but see the preparation instructions below):  The batter has absorbed all the liquid at this point and is ready to be baked!
  I use a small ice cream scoop and 2 muffin pans.  I do all mini muffins because they are easier for my kids to eat.  Spray your pans generously with non-stick spray and then put one scoop in each one.
Bake for 13 min and then let cool for just a few minutes.

Transfer them over to the counter to cool completely.
The perfect size for popping in your mouth!

This recipe makes 15 dozen mini muffins so I separate them into freezer bags and pull them out one at a time as we eat them. This way they are always fresh!  These muffins don't crumble easily, so they make the perfect snack for on the go. I take them on all our big family outings because they are a guilt free snack for my kids and they love them!
Healthy Homemade Muffins:

2 cups boiling water
1Tbl. + 2 tsp. Soda
4 cups bran buds or Grape nuts cereal

Boil water then add soda. Stir. Add 4 cups bran buds and set aside to cool.

1 cup butter (2 sticks)
2 cups sugar (I seem to add less and less each time as I wean my family off of these being so sweet)
4 eggs
1quart buttermilk
5 cups flour (1-2 whole wheat, and I use whole wheat pastry flour bought at the health food store, or freshly ground if you have a wheat grinder)
1 tsp. salt
2 cups bran flakes (I use the raisin bran in my cupboard)
Raisins
(I also sprinkle in some ground flaxseed for added health benefits, 1 cup or so)

In separate bowl (preferably with a lid) add sugar to softened butter. Blend well.  Add eggs, Buttermilk and blend again.  Add dry ingredients along with water/cereal mixture from above, and stir well. Cover.  Let sit overnight in refrigerator. Then go to step 2 above.

No comments: