Friday, October 10, 2008
Buttermilk Bran Muffins
1 ½ c. All-Bran (Original)
1 c. buttermilk
1 c. light brown sugar
1/3 c. canola oil
1 large apple, shredded (including skin)
½ c. white flour
¾ c. whole wheat flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1) Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2) Combine first set of ingredients and let stand for 10 minutes.
3) Combine second set of ingredients and make a well in the center.
4) Add the first mixture to the second, stirring only enough to dampen the flour. Batter should be lumpy.
5) Spray muffin tins with vegetable spray and fill with batter. Top with rolled oats.
6) Bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes.
I found a recipe online for buttermilk bran muffins and altered it so that it would have a lot more fiber but still be delicious (I didn’t cut the sugar). Don’t skimp on the apple – if you don’t have a large one, use 1 and ½ small or medium apples. You can easily add nuts or raisins or whatever you like to them. They’re fast, easy, and delicious. The baking time in Step 6 is what works at sea level, so it may need to be changed slightly for other places.