Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Sausage Stroganoff


Even if you don't use sausage much, you should try this dish. It's very rich and heavy so probably not a good dish if you're already feeling fat, but it is amazing. I got this recipe from my mother-in-law. I don't come up with recipes on my own so I feel like I need to give credit where it's due. Although I'm guessing she got it somewhere else.

Sausage Stroganoff

1 lb ground sausage (I just use Jimmy Dean)
1 onion, minced
1 red pepper, chopped
3 ripe tomatoes, peeled and diced
12 oz spinach fettucini (I use whole grain egg noodles)
6 oz of the following cheese sauce: (makes a lot! Read below)
1 ½ lb cream cheese
1 C sour cream
1 T minced garlic
1 t fennel seed
¼ - ½ t crushed red pepper flakes
3 T minced fresh parsley
3 T minced fresh basil
splash of milk

I use a food processor for the cheese sauce. Add as much milk as it takes to get it blended. I usually make 1/3 of the cheese sauce, so it’s just one package of cream cheese. I don’t know how many ounces that is, but I use it all. I also don’t use fennel seed and I use a little dried parsley and basil since it’s hard to get in the winter.

Cook the noodles according to the package. Brown the sausage adding the onion and pepper near the end. Add the cheese sauce and simmer for a minute. Add tomatoes and simmer a minute more.
Serve over noodles.

No comments: